Michael Wallner [2004-05-13 08:55 UTC]Are there any differences to Text_Highlight? If, then could they be joined together?
Perhaps just have a look at that one beforehand.
Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson [2004-05-13 08:55 UTC]maybe you should try to work with Davey, since he also proposed the same thing and it has gotten accepted http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=45
but nothing has been released yet and he talked about rewritting the whole thing.
Would probly be in everyones intrest if you two would try to make something togather ;)
Firman Wandayandi [2004-05-13 09:20 UTC]I suggest that you merge your package with Davey's Text_Highlight, because your package has same purpose. Contact davey and work together.
Davey Shafik [2004-05-13 09:32 UTC]Wow, This is a nice piece of work. I've yet to look at the code, because I'm too lazy to download the .tgz and unpack it - could you add highlighted source to the docs?
I love the idea of the generator, the XML syntax seems very neat and capable to describe a lot of things. And even the generated PHP Code seems reasonable :)
If this package comes with as many default highlighters as Text_Highlight - I am more than happy to see this succeed over that package. I would like to work with you to make sure that all the functionality I wanted in Text_Highlight is still there (i.e. static calling of each highlighter)
Off-Topic: I would love to learn how to do the Tutorials in the phpDocumetor generated docs, guess I'll find out when I see the source :)
Jon Parise [2004-05-14 01:25 UTC]I like this package much more than the Text_Highlight package that has already been proposed. Nice work!
There are some coding standards issues, but they can be resolved before the package is introduced into PEAR.
Bertrand Mansion [2004-05-14 19:05 UTC]Very cool stuff !
A few comments :
- The generated code has weird (MS-DOS ?) line endings. You might want to encode your Generator.php file to use Unix line feeds.
- CS: use spaces before and after =, ==, commas, ?, :, etc.
- A few notices: toplevel is undeclared, undefined index for never-contained and contains-all in the generator.
- You might want to make the generator a CLI tool so that it is easier to use. Have a look at my Console_Getargs package for the options ;)
- Rendering: I don't like the generated HTML very much. Using <font> tags is outdated. You might consider to use an external renderer (see HTML_Menu for example) and use <span> with a css is certainly better solution. I suggest you have a look at how Horde is handling the line numbers in Chora (see cvs.php.net for examples). The problem with using <li> is that they will be selected when user want to copy/paste code. Also remember that a lot of users use <pre> to display code.
I have been able to write the XML for an highlighter for Objective-C source code in half an hour, I will contribute it if you want when it is ready. Thanks for this nice package :)
Arnaud Limbourg [2004-05-20 07:42 UTC]very neat !